Passport updated? Check. Flights booked? Check. Hotel rooms reserved? Check. Uh oh—what about your pet’s accommodation? Don’t worry, because we offer boarding services for almost every pet. While most of our boarding revolves around cats and dogs, we also welcome birds, rabbits, small rodents, and some reptiles. Whether you’re traveling for pleasure or business, we will care for your pet’s needs while you’re out of town.
How to prepare your pet for boarding
While we ease the stress of finding someone to care for your pet while you are away, you need to take care of the following prior to your pet boarding with us:
- Book in advance — Around the holiday season, boarding facilities quickly fill up, and you may be out of luck if you wait until the last minute to schedule reservations. As soon as you know your traveling dates, call to book your pet’s stay.
- Ensure your pet is current on required vaccinations — While birds, reptiles, rodents, and rabbits don’t require vaccinations for boarding, cats and dogs must be vaccinated, both for their health and the safety of the other pets in our facility. If your pet is a regular patient, let us know you plan on boarding her, and we can appropriately booster her vaccinations.
- Pack your pet’s supplies — As you pack your suitcase, also pack your pet’s travel bag. Include medications for chronic conditions, supplements, and preventives, if they will be needed to remain on schedule. Many pets struggle with an abrupt diet change, so we recommend bringing your pet’s regular food to avoid gastrointestinal upset. To help your pet feel more comfortable and relaxed, pack a few favorite toys, treats, and belongings from home. A cozy blanket that smells like you can help your pet settle in.
For your rabbit, rodent, bird, or reptile, bring their cage, bedding, heat lamps, and food, along with care instructions. We like to keep their schedules as similar as possible to their routine at home to avoid unnecessary stress.
- Bring your pet for a tour — Although you probably won’t need your snake to tour our boarding facility, your canine companion may appreciate checking out her accommodations in advance. Stop by to meet our staff, check out our housing arrangements, and ask any questions you may have.
- Stay calm — Your pet is remarkably in-tune with your emotions, and can easily pick up on your stress and anxiety. Ease the tension by comparing your pet’s stay to a trip to Grandma’s, full of love, attention, and special goodies. Keep your goodbye brief and upbeat, handing off the leash or cage with a special treat to entice your pet to settle in.
The benefits of boarding your pet at Fairfax Veterinary Clinic
Many boarding facilities do not offer the same benefits that we do. As a veterinary clinic, we are skilled in identifying potential issues with your pet as soon as they develop, such as inappetence and anxiety. If your pet is unused to boarding and becomes stressed, we have the resources and knowledge to treat your pet appropriately for stress-related vomiting and diarrhea. At no other boarding facility will your beloved companion experience this level of care.
Your pet’s safety and care is our primary concern while she is boarding, and rest assured that we take every precaution to ensure her happiness and health. If your pet is already a patient of ours, we have the “home-field advantage,” as we’ve seen your furry friend regularly and know her likes, dislikes, fears, typical behavior and attitude, and dietary habits. We’re also well-versed on your pet’s health history, allergies, and medications, and know how to manage your pet’s chronic conditions and medications.
Whether or not your pet is our regular patient, we provide top-notch love and care, and we work to establish a close bond that will make your pet reluctant to leave our facility. To ease your worries, our boarding program includes the following:
- Hand-walking your dog daily for exercise and companionship
- Encouraging your cat and other “unleashed” pets to be active
- Providing a cozy space for your pet away from home
- Interacting one-on-one with your pet to ensure she feels loved and cared for
- Providing additional support and administering treatments for geriatric or sick pets, for which we have special training
In addition to meeting your pet’s basic needs of food, water, shelter, and love while you are away, our highly trained team of kennel attendants can administer medications, catch early signs of illness and stress, and alert our veterinary team to issues that need medical attention.
As the holidays draw near, our boarding facility fills up quickly. Give us a call to reserve your pet’s accommodations.